Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Party Monster

*Warning, this post may contain mature content and possible spoilers


Yesterday, my roommate showed me this funny video about a guy ranting on and on about his appointment at the nail salon. I made a statement "wow, he looks so....interesting" (referring to his four inch long nail, green hair, and stenciled eyebrows), to which she replied "he's a club kid, I didn't know they still existed anymore." My reaction: what is that? Her response: .....you don't know what that is?
Now, tell me if I'm wrong, but if you were born 1992 or later, you would have no idea about a small scene that happened in the 80s. Like, I'm sorry, your time period is kind of irrelevant to me.
But anyways, I admitted that I had no idea what a "club kid" was and she forced me to watch this movie.


I'm sure in some cultures, or whatever some people would find this movie a work of art. But, even with Seth Green, this was a nightmare.

Party Monster tells the story of an over privileged young man who is constantly high and uses his parents money to buy outrageous outfits, and throw parties. Sounds like a winner, right? Then he meets this guy (who admittedly has gone through a few harsh times), and they team up to try to bring more people to this club so they can pay back the water damages they caused during one of their parties. How do they do that, you may ask? Not by honest hard work, but by becoming famous for doing drugs and throwing parties.

I've been told this was a true story about Seth Green's character, James St. James, but even so, this is a horrible movie. No one wants to hear the troubles of two guys who don't pay for their drugs, and have parties and give out drugs for free. If we're being real here, I couldn't honestly care about these guys even if they were paying for their drugs. I'm kind of upset that I will never be able to unsee some of the outfits these twenty-something were wearing.

Honestly the purpose of this movie was for what? To inform us about the dangers of drugs? No. To create a sympathy for the characters who ultimately ended up in a bad state? Hopefully not, because I didn't feel anything for these people. Or maybe it was simply to provide entertainment? Next time I want to spend two hours of my life watching people do drugs and wear stupid costumes, I'll take a trip to a fraternity house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely War by Julie Berry

Lovely War   by   Julie Berry   Heather 's review it was amazing bookshelves:  2019 ,  beautiful-cover ,  best-of-the-bes...