Thursday, April 4, 2019

The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi

The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi
 
by 
16210289

really liked it

A cross between National Treasure And Six of Crows with a Slytherin twist, The Gilded Wolves is a unique story about friendship, family, and revenge.

The Gilded Wolves is set in 1800s France in which a group is on a mission to track down a magical object known as the forged.

The characters are memorable and you instantly want to be friends with all of them. They all are fleshed-out and well-written and I found it easy to follow along with their jokes and to keep track of the six of them.

A lot of the characters also had diverse qualities, ranging from the LGBTQ+ spectrum, to mental health representation, to multiple different nationalities represented. There's a character for everyone to feel seen by. In addition, they're all quite fantastic, and so their personalities are sure to touch the hearts of multiple different types of readers. 

The pacing is quick and throughout the book I felt as if I was on the edge of my seat waiting for the next heist. And once one adventure had finished, the next would begin quite suddenly. 

The one problem I did have, was that the world was kind of confusing. Either because of the writing style, or the author intentionally saving some of the world-building for later, or because the world wasn’t developed enough, it was difficult to understand at times. I finished the whole book and I still have a lot of questions about what happened and what some of the rules of the world were. I typically don’t have problems with fictional worlds being completely fleshed-out in book one, but I found this world to be lacking and almost hindering to the reading experience. 

Overall, I liked the story, and found the characters to be a joy to read. I think some readers may be confused and find it difficult to read or even finish. But I will continue on with the series to see if the world-building is more developed in future books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely War by Julie Berry

Lovely War   by   Julie Berry   Heather 's review it was amazing bookshelves:  2019 ,  beautiful-cover ,  best-of-the-bes...