Sunday, October 28, 2018

The Witch Elm by Tana French

 
by 

The Witch Elm

Page count: 509 
Genre: Fiction, Thriller, Mystery & Crime, Suspense, Adult Fiction
16210289
The Witch Elm is part psychological thriller, part murder mystery, and part family drama. It follows Toby after he’s been robbed and then goes to his family’s home and a body is discovered.

The book starts off with a bit of a bang, and goes achingly slow for a long time. There are minute discoveries and little twists, but overall, throughout the majority of the book, nothing happens.

The ending 25% or so things get amped up, almost to an unbelievable level. There were several times I found myself questioning whether Toby was going to wake up from a dream, after some insane scene. But one thing I really enjoyed about the last bit, was the conversation Tana French was forcing us to have about bullying, class separation, sexual assault, disabled people, and members of the LGBTQ+ community. There were several times I wanted to scream AMEN after what I had just read and it really disappoints me that it took so long to get to such important topics. And even then they were grazed over more than I’d like in favor of the next twist.

So I’ll rate this book in pieces:
1-25% - 3 star
26-75% - 2 star
76-95% - 4.5 star
96-100% - 3 star

3+2+2+4 = 11/20 = .55 (5) = 2.75 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely War by Julie Berry

Lovely War   by   Julie Berry   Heather 's review it was amazing bookshelves:  2019 ,  beautiful-cover ,  best-of-the-bes...