Monday, January 7, 2019

The Witch Doesn't Burn in this One (Women are Some Kind of Magic, #2)

The Witch Doesn't Burn in this One by Amanda Lovelace 
by 

16210289
's review

liked it
bookshelves: 2018abusei-choose-mepoetry

The Witch Doesn’t Burn In This One deals almost exclusively with rape culture against women. While I think it’s important to still talk about, I hated that it was completely about straight women rising up. Men get raped too, sometimes by other men. Also queer women get raped by men. And this list goes on. But it’s quite obvious that the women referenced in these poems were all straight and possibly white.

Something I really disliked was the mention of politics at the end. I don’t think it really added anything and I hate when I’m reading (you know, what I do to escape from my life) and politics get boldly referenced. Especially political candidates. Thanks for that.

My favorite bit came from Part III where I think Amanda said her best lines about rape/rapist/rape culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely War by Julie Berry

Lovely War   by   Julie Berry   Heather 's review it was amazing bookshelves:  2019 ,  beautiful-cover ,  best-of-the-bes...