Monday, February 4, 2019

Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children, #2) Reread

Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire
 
by 
16210289
Reread: 1/8 in anticipation for In An Absent Dream.

I ended up loving this more than the first time. I think I might have actually not liked it as much due to the anticipation?? Lol

Every Heart A Doorway is more plot-oriented and follows a slew of characters. Whereas Down Among The Sticks and Bonesis more character-oriented, exploring nature vs. nurture and how a parent’s love or absence of love can affect a child’s growth and overall appreciation on life. The book also deals with gender identity as the parent’s try to mold each girl into a specific way, making one “more girly” and the other “a tomboy of sorts”.

The author does a great job of showing us the growth of the characters and how their lives affected the characters we came to know in Every Heart A Doorway.

I will continue to recommend this series to so many people, as there are so many good things happening in these stories.

Still waiting for my story on Kade, and Christopher though...

____________________________________________________

Actual rating probably a 3.5.

I LOVED Every Heart A Doorway, and I was HIGHLY anticipating this book. And maybe that's why I didn't love it as much? The first book seemed so magical and wonderful and completely different. And while this one does still have the uniqueness, I found it to be less magical and lyrical. To me, the writing style felt a bit more off, and there wasn't as much plot, but instead a lot of skipping around.

One thing that I really enjoyed was the message explored. I loved how the author wrote about being a girl, and how being whoever you want to be is what's important and not what you're forced to be.

This book is less than 200 pages, and yet it still reads better than some 500+ page novels out there.

I'll definitely be reading the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely War by Julie Berry

Lovely War   by   Julie Berry   Heather 's review it was amazing bookshelves:  2019 ,  beautiful-cover ,  best-of-the-bes...