Sunday, August 30, 2015

Netflix and Chill

I don't know how Netflix and chill got turned into the literal meaning to Netflix and...., and by "...." I mean a lot of "..." and a little bit of Netflix. But, when a guy you're kind of talking to calls you a "bitch" and "over conceited" in one text message, "Netflix and Chill" turns into my best friend and I binge watching movies, screaming together, crying together, and generally being totally weird together.

We watched a total of three movies, and two episodes after our trip to the mall, and although they all deserve their own post, we'll just combine them into one post.

Round 1: Sinister (Scare factor: 9/10)
Probably one of the best movies we watched, Sinister, is this horror film about a crime writer who goes to a house to do research for his upcoming book and discovers some disturbing tapes of other crimes committed that have gone unsolved.
Each crime is truly horrific and is made even more horrific watching them through the killer's point of view (through a video camera), and on grainy film. The movie progresses and gets scarier and scarier as the viewer tries to figure out the mysteries behind the mass murders. I consider myself to be a semi-expert horror movie watcher, and I jumped a total of two times, basically a record. But, my friend screamed twice.
Recommendation: Yes! Watch the movie. One of my favorite horror movies now.

Round 2: Insidious Chapter 2 (Scare Factor: 5/10)
Insidious 2 could have been so much better, but there were so many things distracting me from the movie. It was kind of boring for the most part, other than the typical horror movie ploys to keep us on edge such as the ticking of the grandfather clock, random noises, and long streams of intense music.Something else that distracted me from the movie was the crazy confusing plot. I'm going to try not to give anything away, but the movie goes into the past a few times, some scenes from the first movie are brought up, and it gets really confusing, and it feels like the plot is kind of "reaching." You know, when you're trying to convince the audience that something is cool, and different, and scary, when it's really not. Also characters would same some of the stupidest things. I'm all fro comic relief, but really? It was so misplaced half of the time. The only truly scary scenes were at the very end of the movie and even they were done too quickly to build up enough scare factor.
Recommendation: Ehh. If you want to, watch it.

Round 3: If I Stay (Tear Jerker Rating: 8.5/10)
After watching two horror movies in a row, my friend was ready to move on to something a little happier.
Whoops.
If I Stay is about a girl who just before she graduates high school, gets into a serious car accident where both of her parents die, her brother is put into critical condition, and she ends up in a coma. The movie is based off of her perspective as she views her friends and family talking to her, and flashbacks on her life up until then. If I Stay is also based off of a book, one that I have read (and it is excellent), and is a good representation of the book. I would NOT recommend that you skip out on the book, or the sequel. But, just let it be known that the book is...more intense.
The movie was pretty emotional. I cried like I expected. And my friend, who doesn't usually cry, cried as well. Definitely see this one.
Recommendation: Yes! Watch the movie. But don't skip out on the book.

May your Netflix and Chill be full of surprises.

It's been real.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely War by Julie Berry

Lovely War   by   Julie Berry   Heather 's review it was amazing bookshelves:  2019 ,  beautiful-cover ,  best-of-the-bes...