Sunday, July 30, 2017

Book Review: Something Strange And Deadly

Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly, #1)Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Honestly, I can see why a lot of people have enjoyed this book. It was pretty different than your typical zombie YA novel, and for that I congratulate Susan. But I had two main (pretty big) issues, and so my three star rating is actually pretty generous.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when non-political books bring up Politics. And while I understand that Dystopians (especially) are driven by a corrupt government in the storyline, there's usually no specific party named. And so I can go and get the main themes and lessons out of the book without specifically mentioning Democrats or Republicans being evil. This book does not do that. There's a very clear dislike to one (real life) political party about halfway in the book. And basically there were several people who were part of the political party, and they are ALL considered terrible, despicable people. And the one guy in the OTHER party was so generous, and wronged, and wow every one feel sorry for him. I get it. But I'm not so much upset about the use of the parties, but of the portrayal. Everyone has their own opinions about how to fix problems (because that's what politics is about) and while we may not always agree with them. You need to RESPECT their right to an opinion. Also when these political parties were mentioned, it honestly threw me off.

But I think I could have let that go, but another HUGE issues popped up. And it was...

I was able to guess EVERY SINGLE PLOT TWIST. I don't consider myself to be super inquisitive, but yet somehow, someway I guessed them all. And they weren't bad twists, but the fact that I guessed them from the very beginning, and the main character just made it so obvious that she wasn't even considering the idea made it almost unbearable to read. Like there were so many clues and she just was soooooo sure that these things would never happen. It just got annoying after a while.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely War by Julie Berry

Lovely War   by   Julie Berry   Heather 's review it was amazing bookshelves:  2019 ,  beautiful-cover ,  best-of-the-bes...