Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Book Review: No Good Deed

No Good DeedNo Good Deed by Kara Connolly
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"Don't die. Don't change history. And get home." That's what Eleanor "Ellie" has to remind herself every day after she somehow gets transported to Twelfth Century France.

Ellie is a funny, teenager who is also a BA in archery. You know, in the Olympics BA. And one day while she's competing in the Olympics, she sees an odd man. She follows him. And then she's transported to a different time, a different century in fact.

No Good Deed is a retelling of Robin Hood, that is surprisingly well done. The author incorporated both elements from the original stories, and the adaptations. While the beginning is a little slow, after all of the "merry men" are introduced, the pace picks up and the comedy is amped up too. I found myself laughing out loud at some of the crazy things that were happening and even crazier thoughts the main character had. And then the ending was perfect.

I also really liked how there was VERY limited romance and a strong emphasis on the importance of family and friends. There was also mild cussing, and not any graphic content.

I can't say that I'm super familiar with the original tales of Robin Hood or even the adaptations, but a quick search on Wikipedia helps a lot to make sure that you get every joke. Also, it doesn't hurt to have a French-to-English translator. It's not necessary, but it adds to the enjoyment.

*I received this book from Random House Children's in exchange for a review. However, all opinions are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely War by Julie Berry

Lovely War   by   Julie Berry   Heather 's review it was amazing bookshelves:  2019 ,  beautiful-cover ,  best-of-the-bes...